What do I need to know about concrete?
Concrete is a mixture of four components in a specially selected proportion. Their ratio is calculated in a certain way according to the regulatory documents, but it should be noted that these values are not constant, so the result on different calculators may vary slightly. Increasing or decreasing a certain component directly affects the characteristics of the finished mortar - strength, frost resistance, water permeability, mobility, etc.
The most important parameter is the class of concrete, this is a modern and accurate designation of the strength characteristics of the material, which is much more often used in the professional environment, denoted by the letter "M" and a numerical suffix, for example "M20". The numerical value expresses the ultimate pressure, which can reliably withstand 95% of samples from the batch, measured in MPa (megapascals).
These values depend directly on the cement grade and its percentage in the concrete mixture, that is, the more, the stronger.
How Much Concrete Do I Need?
The concrete calculator helps to estimate the cubic capacity of the mixture components to create the required volume of concrete. When calculating the weight of cement, crushed stone and sand the bulk (not absolute) density of the material is used - 1300 kg/m3, 1480 kg/m3 (fraction of 20 mm), 1500 kg/m3 (fraction 2-2.5 mm), respectively. If necessary, you can also determine the total cost of materials at a known price per cube.
Enter the required volume of concrete for the project.
Select the concrete grade.
Select the cement grade.
Enter the cost of cement, crushed stone, and sand per cube.
- Press the "Calculate" button.
Concrete grades and their use in construction
The choice of concrete grade is determined by the nature of its possible use and the type of structure to be erected. In order to avoid negative consequences and for the economic feasibility of construction, a specific class of mortar is chosen to solve a certain range of problems.
- M3.5-M7.5: extremely weak strength and suitable only for filling voids or creating underlayments;
- M10-12.5: suitable for foundations of light single-story buildings, fences, used for creation of screed and manufacturing of curbs;
- M15: used for pouring of backsplashes, foundations for one-story buildings, for making paths;
- M20: used to create strip foundations for low-rise houses and, in some cases, for monolithic slab;
- M22.5: the most popular grade of concrete in private construction - used both when creating foundations, and for the manufacture of floors, stairs;
- M25-27.5: suitable for construction of foundations for multistoried buildings, serves as a material for load-bearing columns, runway covers;
- M30: suitable for construction of large industrial buildings and objects on water;
- M40+: construction of tunnels, bridges, dams and other strategic facilities.