How to calculate room area?
A room is a living space bounded on all sides by walls and equipped with a separate passageway. We suggest using the free tool from KALK.PRO, it will help you quickly estimate the total area of the room, by length and width of the floor/walls. The tool can only be used for square and rectangular shaped rooms, if you have a non-standard room, scroll just below. To start the calculation, enter the length of each wall of the room: A, B, C, D and click "Calculate" to get the result.
Room area calculation formulas
The area of a quadrilateral room in our online calculator is calculated using the Brahmagupta formula:
- Sroom = ((p − a) × (p − b) × (p − c) × (p − d))1/2, where a, b, c, d – sides of a quadrangle, p – half-perimeter of a quadrilateral (which is based on the formula: p = (a + b + c + d) / 2).
If you want to calculate the area of a room with five, six or more walls - the easiest way is to divide the room surface into simple shapes (square, rectangle, triangle, trapezium), use standard mathematical formulas and add up the values.
- Triangular room area formula: S = (a × h) / 2, where а – base, h – height.
- Square room area formula: S = a2, where а – side.
- Rectangular room area formula: S = a × b, where а, b – sides.
- Trapezoid room area formula: S = ((a + b) × h) / 2, where a, b – bases, h – height.